Going to a WMU Football game? Know this!
If you went to a WMU Bronco Football game at Waldo Stadium last season, you may already know about this stuff, but if it's been a while, read on.
Like most Universities, Western Michigan University adopted strict rules on what you can and can't carry into the stadium. Officials say the rules will speed things up at the gates, but that ultimately it's about creating a safer environment for all fans.
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches in size.
- Clear bags may have a logo on one side as long as that logo does not exceed 4 inches by 3.4 inches.
- Small clutch bags with or without a handle or strap that do not exceed 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches or approximately the size of a hand.
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags such as Ziploc brand bags.
Each person may bring in one large clear bag plus a small clutch that does not exceed 4.5 by 6.5 inches. The small clutch allows privacy for small personal items and also is easily searched. Keys, wallets, phones and other small items that fit in pockets or clutch bags are not limited. Fans may carry a blanket over their arms, and binoculars or a camera around their necks or in their hands without the case. The clear bag and clutch may also be used to carry these and other permissible items.
Exceptions will be made for medical items or a diaper bag (with a small child) needed after a proper inspection by security at the gate before entry. Authorities reserve the right to inspect any item at any time. WMU says they're not responsible for any items left at the gate or in the stadium.
Prohibited bags (Stuff you can't bring it)
- Clutch bags larger than a hand
- Duffle bags
- Cinch bags
- Mesh bags
- Fanny packs that are not clear or exceed the size limit
- Camera bags or cases
- Binocular bags or cases
- Tinted or patterned plastic bags
- Any bag larger than regulated size
Prohibited items must be returned to cars or disposed of before entering Waldo Stadium.
There will be some exceptions specifically for "credentialed" individuals, such as members of the media, who bring bags that do not meet the policy guidelines. Bags are still subject to search upon entry.
For details on the new security measures, visit wmubroncos.com/clearbagpolicy.
The first game at Waldo Stadium is Friday August 31st, against Syracuse.