Underground Railroad Home Donated To Cass County Group
The Underground Railroad was a crucial part of the Civil War era, as it sheltered and hid escaped slaves on their journey to freedom to the north. Michigan played a role in this and soon we will be able to get a first hand view of one of the homes. The Stephen Bogue home has been donated by a church on which the property sits to the Underground Railroad Society of Cass County.
Quaker Stephen Bogue arrived in Michigan in 1830 and started Friends Anti-Slavery Society in 1843 when the home at Crooked Creek and M-60 in Cassopolis sheltered fugitive slaves.
Pleasant View Pastor Jeff Oliver explained to the Elkhart Truth why the donation is taking place and expressed his excitement for it:
It’s our pleasure to donate the Bogue house to URSCC. The Bogue house has been used as a parsonage for its ministers from that time until now. The church no longer needs the parsonage and is excited and proud to donate it to URSCC to be restored to an 1830s historic home to carry on the story of the Underground Railroad in Cass County.
The Pleasant View Church of Christ purchased the house and property Sept. 6, 1969. They plan on opening it up to learn more about the house on July 14-15.